We are Oxford’s first dedicated SUP School, offering beginners lessons for groups of up to 18 people.
Stand up paddle boarding, or SUP, is one of the fastest growing water sports in the world. There’s a good reason why; it’s great fun, easily accessible for people of all ages and ability, and it’s a healthy way to enjoy the outdoors and experience the unique joy of travel by paddle board.
We’re passionate about developing SUP in the UK, and introducing this amazing sport to as many people as possible. Our qualified and experienced SUP instructors will get you on the water and paddling on your first lesson.
We are a BSUPA (British Stand Up Paddle Boarding Association) approved SUP school. Our instructors are qualified via the BSUPA Instructor Training scheme, and are trained by the UK’s most accomplished SUP paddlers. Our Head Coach Andrew is an experienced Instructor, qualified to teach all aspects of SUP from beginner’s to touring, racing and 1-1 coaching.
The sessions we run follow BSUPA’s tried & tested format, and are designed to be safe, fun and enjoyable. Here are the range of sessions we offer:
BSUPA Level 1 – Ready to Ride
The BSUPA Level 1 “Ready to Ride” course is aimed at adults who have never stand up paddled before or people who have had a go but want to learn the basics properly.
Learning to paddleboard is a fast and fun process with a qualified BSUPA Instructor and BSUPA approved SUP school. The course structure is designed to give you the information you need to get on the water safely, have fun and learn the basic techniques of paddle boarding.
During the course you will be given an introduction to how the weather and environment affects you, how to carry the board and paddle, paddling technique, different types of turns, self-rescue, how to fall safely as well as how to plan SUP trips of your own.
The 2 hour course is run on flat water and at the end of it, you will be presented with your BSUPA Level 1 Ready to Ride Certificate.
BSUPA Level 2 – Ready to Tour Teaching Scheme
The Aim of this course is to introduce people to the enjoyment of touring and exploring but offer more than an experience. Having completed this course students should feel that they are ready to plan their own adventures and have new skills to improve their time on the water.
The course is ‘skill and knowledge focussed’ aiming to give students a safe way of getting more time on the water. By the end of this course paddlers should be able to:
- Understand different locations to paddle and their restrictions, challenges
- Have knowledge of different touring disciplines and how to get involved
- Be able to select the best touring equipment for yourselves
- Demonstrate an improved efficient paddle stroke
- Use a variety of strokes to maintain tracking and manoeuvrability on the water
- Navigate obstacles and third parties afloat taking into account, flow, weather and any other elements
- Have knowledge of how to plan a trip taking into account weather, flow, tide, access, 3rd parties, exit options
- Have understanding of personal gear you might take with you when touring.
- Have planned completed and experienced a tour
The session is delivered as a half day course.
BSUPA Level 2 – Ready to Race Teaching Scheme
The Aim of this course is to introduce people to the enjoyment of racing. Having completed this course students should feel that they are ready to enter their first race or have improved their skills to aid their racing aims.
The course is ‘skill’ rather than fitness focused and focuses on the main skills and scenarios that will comes up in a wide variety of races. By the end of this course paddlers should be able to:
- Understand the different race board classes
- Have knowledge of different racing disciplines and how to get involved
- Be able to select the best race equipment for yourselves
- Demonstrate an improved efficient paddle stroke
- Demonstrate ability to draft
- Perform a variety of turns around buoys using good judgement
- Have experienced a variety of start options
- Have understanding of personal gear you might wear for racing and hydration options
The course can be delivered as a series of sessions or half day course.
Paddle Boarding in Oxfordshire – Great fun!
SUP is a really social sport, and it’s an ideal activity to do with family and friends. It can be enjoyed on any flat water, whether it’s a river, lake or canal, and it offers people the enjoyment of a sporting activity, with the relaxing environment of time spent with friends on the water.
Based in and around Oxford, we offer beginners sessions on the lake at Farmoor Reservoir and group trips on the River Thames and River Cherwell. Our SUP locations are carefully chosen to take advantage of calm waters with a gentle flow, and minimal river traffic. Locations vary depending on the time of year and river conditions.
The best way to get started with this exciting new sport is to enrol on our 2 hour “Ready to Ride” SUP lesson. Once you’ve mastered the basics you’ll be ready to take on some longer river trips, and join us on for our regular SUP Club meetings.